Thursday, January 27, 2011

Knowing

I grew up in church, there every time the doors were open, even when we were sick and there was no heater. I memorized verses. Sang hymns. Prayed at the old wooden altar, knees on the hard wood floors. I don't remember ever doubting there is a God, and I thought I knew God.

But the God I've seen in the last year is unlike anything I've ever known or experienced before.

I have been in awe of His power. I have been overwhelmed by His greatness.

Now I am undone by His gentleness.

I have never experienced such compassion or kindness in my whole life. It is as though He has stepped from His high throne as King and wrapped Himself in a towel...and I never understood. I am sure I don't understand now...but for the first time, I am beginning to know that He really does...

And while I am left thinking I do not know this God who is so patient in simply being with me...for me...I am mystified by the completeness of His knowing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment